Paid Time Off (PTO)
Postdoctoral Scholars have PTO that became effective on March 6, 2020. The first leave accrual for a postdoctoral scholar is credited at the conclusion of the first pay period.
- Full-time postdoctoral scholars shall accrue 4 hours of PTO each biweekly pay period. Postdoctoral scholars that are not full-time due to less than a 1.0 (100%) full time equivalent or leave without pay will accrue PTO at a proportionate rate.
- The PTO maximum balance is 104 hours. Once a postdoctoral scholars’ leave balance is 104 hours, no further leave can accrue until leave is taken. Terminal leave is not permissible.
- PTO can be used for periodic vacations, personal reasons, illness, or any other purpose. Supervisors may request medical certification for PTO used for sick purposes that extends for three (3) consecutive days or longer.
- PTO shall not be used unless authorized in advance by the postdoctoral scholar’s supervisor (research mentor, instructional supervisor for any teaching obligations of the appointment, or another appropriate authority).
- A record of any PTO taken by the postdoctoral scholar must be entered using the timesheet in the University’s human resource information system and approved by the postdoctoral scholar’s supervisor.
Questions regarding the PTO policy and time entry processes can be directed to Christine Conley, Senior Associate Director, in the Office of Human Resources.
Termination and University Separation
Postdoctoral Scholars and Departments should review the following separation guidelines when voluntarily completing their training or when their position is being terminated. Please note that all postdoctoral scholar positions are classified as OPS, and as such, they are at will employment positions. Although no notification is required, it is recommended that a minimum of 10 days notice be given prior to termination.
Download Separation Guidelines Here
We also encourage Postdoctoral Scholars to establish a LinkedIn Profile with their new contact information so that we can have an active database for all our Postdoc Alumni!