New Postdoctoral Full Orientation
Next Full Orientation = August 13, 2021 - by Zoom Conference
10 to 11:30 am (Session 1) = General Orientation (Expectations, Policies, Resources, Teaching, Center Global Engagement, Human Resources/Benefits, Postdoctoral Association, Professional Development, Awards)
1 to 2:30 pm (Session 2) = Postdoc/Advisor Pair (Formulation of Individual Development Plan, Mentorship)
REGISTRATION is NOW OPEN: Click HERE
If you are a new postdoctoral scholar at FSU, then we have two different platforms for you to get oriented and start your career running.
- The first is a noon-time New Postdoctoral Welcome Session that occurs the last Monday of the months of January, April, October. This is a good venue to get your employment paperwork initiated, find your immediate research-related resources on campus, be introduced to the director of the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, and hear from our Postdoctoral Association (PDA) regarding opportunities for career-related events and professional development. Click here to find information about the next "Welcome" and registration materials.
- The second is a full orientation that occurs once a year at the end of the summer. If you arrive in the late spring or during the summer semester, this is the best orientation for you. This session adds to the "Welcome" and gives you the opportunity to develop your Individual Development Plan (IDP) with your advisor. You can see the agenda from the last full day orientation that was held on August 16th, 2019 below and the full slide set of information is provided as a resource for you to reference throughout the year. See details below from the last in person Postdoc orientation. We plan to have one more full orientation by zoom conference and then hopefully switch back to face to face orientation for summer of 2022.
At both types of platforms, important information regarding new postdoctoral policies and regulations are presented. At the summer orientation, you have an opportunity to fully plan your Individual Development Plan (IDP) with your advisor. Lunch is provided and new postdocs will have the opportunity to meet fellow Postdoctoral Scholar Officers of the Postdoctoral Association (PDA). Copies of the textbook "Making the Right Moves", a helpful text on your career advancement developed by HHMI and the National Academy, along with other professional development resources are distributed on memory jump drives.
The following information is presented by directors and coordinators of these topics -
- Expectations, Policies, Resources, Research Opportunities Animal and Human Subjects
- Individual Development Plan
- Funding your Research
- Teaching Opportunities and Guidelines
- Interfacing with Professional Development at the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs and the Graduate School
- Canvas and Omni Software Introduction (Payroll, Reimbursements)
- Human Resources (Minimum Salary, Health Insurance, Leave Policy, Retirement, Florida Prepaid College)
- Data Management Plans
- Career Center
- Postdoctoral Association (Events, Professional Development, and Networking)
- International Scholar VISA and Global Community
- Center for Intensive English Studies
- View the 2021 Orientation Flyer.
- 'Click here' for the 2020 Orientation Presentation Slides (Zoom Conference).
- 'Click here' for NIH Policy Regarding IDP and Investigator Annual Progress Reports (RPPR)
- We highly encourage Postdoctoral Scholars and their advisors to formulate an Individual Development Plan (IDP)
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding the orientation or postdoctoral concerns; happy to assist.
Associate Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs
Director of OPDA