Fall Program for Instructional Excellence (PIE) TA Orientation/Teaching Conference
Registration is now open for the annual Fall Program for Instructional Excellence (PIE) TA Orientation/Teaching Conference! (This is a mandatory training for postdocs who intend to teach)
This event is held Wednesday & Thursday the week prior to the first week of classes each fall, and this year it was held 8/22 - 8/23/18. This conference includes sessions that provide graduate students & postdoc scholars with policy training requirements as stated in the current University-wide TA Standards along with best practices in grading, communicating with students, appreciating student diversity in the classroom, and technology usage. By the end of this training, participants will be able to explain and have procedures in place to address University policy issues related to the Academic Honor Policy, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and Discrimination-Sexual Harassment-Retaliation. Participants will also be equipped with strategies to help navigate the use of Canvas features essential to their role as a TA, communicate effectively with students, and provide student feedback.
Who should attend?
- New graduate student & postdoc TAs - graduate student's and postdoc scholars CANNOT hold a TA position UNLESS he or she satisfies the University-wide TA Standards, so be sure to review these standards carefully!
- New graduate students and postdoc scholars who do not yet hold a TA assignment, but will likely do so in the future.
- Returning graduate students who have never attended PIE or a departmental equivalent, but who may teach in the future are also encouraged to attend
- Faculty and staff are also welcome
* Please note: Our priority is to meet the needs of those who will be teaching in the coming semester/year, but if there is room in HCB 101, and the overflow room HCB 102, we should be able to accomodate graduate students and postdocs who do not yet have a TA assignment but want to become certified and develop their credentials for teaching in the future.
Where: New Classroom Building (HCB 101)
When: Wednesday & Thursday, August 22-23, 2018 (sessions on each day are distinct, i.e., Thursday is not a repeat of Wednesday) You must attend both days to receive certification!
Wednesday 8/22/18, 8 AM - 3:30 PM
Thursday 8/23/18, 8 AM - 12:20 PM
More information is also posted on the PIE website